Sunday, November 18, 2007

Just Do It

I can't stand gunnas. A gunna is someone who is always talking about what they are gunna do without ever actually doing anything. You know what I mean...I'm gunna get a job, I'm gunna lose weight, I'm gunna write a book, I'm gunna travel, paint, act, sing, make a garden... Everyone knows at least one gunna. The truth is, when you first meet a gunna you think they are really interesting because gunnas love to tell anyone who will listen about all the things they're gunna do, but after you've spoken to them a couple of times you realise that they are really very boring. A gunna will have an arsenal of excuses to explain why, whatever it was they were gunna do didn't come to fruition. Inevitably it's someone else's fault, the universe tends to conspire against gunnas. So they go through life feeling extremely hard done by, and wondering why people are always moving away from them at parties. A long time ago I decided that I was never going to be a gunna, instead, I was going to be doer, which brings me to this point in time, writing my first post on my first blog. Wow! It's kinda scary. It took me about two hours just to think of a name for my blog. I'm not going to tell you how long these couple of paragraphs have taken to compose. The way I see it, I can only get better lol.

Writing is like any other form of creativeness (Is that a word? Maybe it should be creativity), in that whenever you produce a written piece, you are laying bare a part of yourself to the world, thus exposing that self to criticism and god forbid... ridicule. It was for this reason that I almost became a gunna myself. Yes it's true, although I've never actually uttered the words "I'm gunna", I have used language that has taken me dangerously close to the mark. As an editor/proofreader I am often asked if I write myself. I've realised that I invariably answer with "I might... I should... I'm thinking about... or I'd like to..." Does that make me a borderline gunna? Oh no, not me. So today I gave myself a stern talking to, slapped myself around the chops a couple of times and just did it.

No comments: